Date of Completion: 2002 | Area: 1,400 SF (before) 3,090 SF (after)
This reworking of a 1949 ranch style home in a central neighborhood establishes strong links between house, site and community. Extensive transparency, reinforced by lighting, visually connects interior and exterior spaces. New and recycled local materials – quartzite from local quarries and salvaged from downtown streets and slate salvaged from local high schools – anchor the home to the site and to the history of the community. This project is a 2002 AIA South Dakota Design Honor Award winner.