Date of Completion: 2017 | Area:
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing structure in the Old Courthouse and Warehouse District, the 1909 O.S. Jones Seed Co. structure is located at 421 N. Phillips Ave. in downtown Sioux Falls. For many years it served as the area’s fallout shelter.
Renovations retain much of its industrial character exposing concrete walls, columns and beams, as well as some of the leftover graffiti on the 2nd and 3rd floor condominium walls. An adjacent building burned to the ground where the new courtyard offers privately owned public space to enhance the growing downtown live/work environment.
The Jones 421 project is an Architect-developed project and the first of its kind in Sioux Falls hosting a retail ‘market’ space on the street level, and 32 condominiums located on 2nd through 4th floors ranging in size from 690 sf one-bedroom units to 3,500 sf for the penthouse unit.
The project is a 2018 AIA South Dakota Merit award winner.